Thursday, May 31, 2007

Rhinoa's List

The Last Unicorn - Peter S Beagle
When I was a child me and my sister used to rent the animated video most weeks and it was (and still is) my favourite film of all time. When I first read the book as an adult I loved it too. It takes me back to being a child and I always wanted to be the Lady Amalthea. The cat is also brilliant and Terry Brooks quotes him at the beginning of one of his books.

The Black Jewels Trilogy - Anne Bishop
I read this (shamefully) on my honeymoon and got completely engrossed in it. We spent a lot of time on planes which gave me guilt-free time to enjoy it. I do confess though to spending some of our free days with my head stuck in it instead of doing more traditional honeymoon activities ;)

Memnoch the Devil - Anne Rice
I love love love Anne Rice and have read everything she has ever written. This was probably my favourite though as it was a very interesting look at Christianity and the Devil. Religion and Mythology are passions of mine as well as vampires so this was the best of both worlds!

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
Another of my favourite authors. This one looks at music (another hobby of mine being a part-time DJ) and the main characters love making lists much like me. The humour is great and it translated really well from London in the book to the USA in the film.

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
I am counting all three books as one as when I first read it aged 10 it was a one volume copy. This is where my love of Fantasy novels started I think. It also really encouraged my love of reading which I have always had. I loved the characters and Middle Earth where I would love to visit one day. Again it worked really well as a series of films.

3 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

your honeymoon mention made me laugh, because i too did some reading on my honeymoon - it was the first chance i'd had to relax in months! we also visited several bookstores on our honeymoon trip! :)

Athena said...

Another Hornby fan. :) I included one of his books in my list too. Good list.

Jill said...

I loved Memnoch The Devil - in my opinion, her best of the vampire series. I added one of Rice's books to my List of Five too.