Sunday, June 24, 2007

Becky Rech's Five--also known as SheReads

The books I chose to speak for me...

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke--Because I love to read and find the idea of reading characters in and out of books fascinating.

Northern Light by Jennerifer Donnelly--Because I like historical fiction and Mattie, the main character in this book is a strong female character that struggles with what is expected of her as a female and what she really wants to do. I struggle a lot with what is expected of me as a woman from our society, yet, I want to be that perfect woman who likes to cook, clean and take care of the house for my family.

Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock--Because this story takes place in Wisconsin which is where I grew-up and settled. It is a funny story about girl, D.J., who loves football (which I can't say that I do) and pushes the limits of what a girl should do. D.J. takes care of her family farm before she takes care of herself. I found the book funny and moving.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini--Because the Afghanistan and Pakistan have fascinated me recently. I have read a couple fiction books recently and went to the movie A Mighty Heart. This week I am also looking forward to hearing Kahled Hosseini speak. I have developed a hobby of catching some of my favorite authors at bookstores. I think it gives a reader a special window into why they wrote a book and it always amazing to hear an author read from his or her book.

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer--Because it fascinated me when I read it this spring. I can't imagine being in Miranda's situation, but I sure didn't find it so far fetched that I can't imagine it happening here and now.

**As I am sure you noticed that most of these books are young adult books. I work at a high school and seem to read a lot of books that are YA and fewer and fewer adult books.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Inkheart and Life As We Knew It are great books! I will probably end up choosing Inkheart as one of my books to read once the challenge has begun. It's one that I've read, but not reviewed for my site.

Becky said...

I just noticed that the list in the left sidebar lists my list under SheReads (Diane)--it should be (Becky). Thanks!

The Odd Duck, said...

I've read Hosseini's The Kiterunner. Hope to like this one too.