Friday, October 19, 2007

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl--Gautami's Review


Title: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Author: Roald Dahl
ISBN: 0-141-31990-9
Publisher: Puffin/2005
First published: 1964
Pages:190
Genre: Children’s Fiction (9-12)

Another book I re-read for my nephew. This book is a pure classic of imagination, magic and fantasy, telling the story from Charlie Bucket's point of view. Charlie, who lives with his four very old grandparents and his mother in a one-room house, can only dream about his future, since his family has barely enough money to survive. He is so poor he gets only one chocolate bar a year, a combined present from his parents and grandparents. To make matters worse, he lives in the same town as Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory.

One day, Willy Wonka announces that he will open his factory to five lucky kids.

Read the rest here...

I chose from Holly's list. Here is what she says about the book:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl
I'm sure I'm not alone on this one - who could resist a lifetime supply of chocolate? Or the strange, magical, consequential world where good and evil were divided so wickedly and well? My brother used to read Roald Dahl to me when I was little - in fact, I can still recite, to perfection, the plight of Goldie Pinklesweet (an Oompa Loompa song from The Great Glass Elevator). If being a writer could produce such brilliance, then that's what I wanted to do.


No comments: