Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Walk in the Woods


A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

I've always wanted to read Bill Bryson, having heard that he was very funny. Having read this book, I think I can safely say that I think Bill Bryson is an amazing author because he got me to read about (and be interested in) something that is in fact my definition of HELL.


Yes, hell. I hate camping and I don't understand the appeal of hiking, particularly not for days on end in the mountains.
I enjoyed his anecdotes about the people they met on the trail (both amazingly nice and amazingly annoying) and about the often ridiculous Katz who kept throwing equipment away because it was too heavy. Even many of the tales of the perils of the trail were amusing, particularly the many, many about bears (a running theme). I did start to glaze over during the longer passages about particular flora and fauna, but even so, I was impressed with his research about all areas of the trail. I'll definitely read more Bryson and will hopefully get to Notes From a Small Island soon.

What I learned about Wendy: Well, I already knew that this reading challenge queen was a cool lady from her blog but it turns out she's a hiker, too. And even if hiking is my idea of hell, I admire her for having the strength and fitness and love of nature to do it. And also, she has a great sense of humour!

(Get my full ramble with more about camping = hell here.)


No comments: