Tuesday, December 11, 2007

last book by raidergirl3

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
recommended by Heather
Heather said: It may scare some that this book says something about me. However, Lolita grew up with a skewed view of sexuality and how to experience it correctly. I did too. I often used my sexuality to get what I wanted, but eventually I found happiness with a man who loves me.
While I recognize that this is an important book and very popular, it didn't do it enough for me. It took me two weeks, at least and I never had a point where I couldn't put it down. That is for me what makes a book terrific: I can't stop reading it, I have to know more, read more. And this wasn't it.
Maybe too important for me. No doubt, Nabokov is a genius, and the book is layer upon layer of alllusions and riddles, with interesting debates about ethics and morals and insanity that could last forever. As with most classics I've read this year, I am glad I read it, but I certainly didn't love it. At least now I feel ready to read Reading Lolita in Tehran.
my full review is posted at my blog here

No comments: