Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Anne of Green Gables

by Lucy Maude Montgomery

This is what I wrote back in June as to why I chose to read this book for this challenge:
"This or one of the sequels is on several people's lists, including Tiny Librarian's, Raidergirl3's and Becky's. We are going to be visiting Prince Edward Island this summer. One of the highlights will be seeing Anne of Green Gables: The Musical. Don't you think I'd better read the book before seeing the musical?"
I didn't have time to read the book before our trip so my husband and I listened to it while driving through parts of Canada. We both found it to be thoroughly enchanting. Anne Shirley is one of my heroes. I want to be like her in her exuberance and appreciation for life. I can't believe I've put off reading this book until I was 56. It's utterly shameful. You can bet it will be one that I reread.

Several days after finishing the book we were thoroughly entertained by the musical. What a treat to sit in Charlottetown's theater, right on Prince Edward Island and watch the book come to life again. If you have never read this book, you need to. You will undoubtedly enjoy it and it is sure to enrich your life. If you ever get a chance to see the musical - do so.

It's always good fortune to visit the setting of a book. Prince Edward Island, especially the part where Montgomery lived, is every bit as beautiful and tranquil as depicted in this book.

*I have to mention that we were fortunate enough to meet Raidergirl3 before the play. We enjoyed a lovely visit with her over a delectable bowl of fish chowder and oysters Rockefeller. She is so gracious and sweet. She gave me the next 2 books in the 'Anne' series. I'm really looking forward to reading them and all the while I will remember that pleasant evening. Thank-you again, Raidergirl3.

My less wordy review can be found on my blog, A Reader's Journal.

4 comments:

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Yay, I'm glad you loved it! I love the musical, too - I had the soundtrack when I was a kid, I should buy it again. And what a fun trip!

raidergirl3 said...

your welcome, it was so much fun to meet you and Candleman. PEI is not usually as hot as it was that night.
The play is the best. I see it every few years.

sally906 said...

I read this book recently - and gave it an 'A' I loved it :)

1morechapter said...

I need to read this one as well! Can't believe I haven't yet.