Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I picked A Thousand Splendid Suns from SheReads who wrote the following about this selection:

Because the Afghanistan and Pakistan have fascinated me recently. I have read a couple fiction books recently and went to the movie A Mighty Heart. This week I am also looking forward to hearing Kahled Hosseini speak. I have developed a hobby of catching some of my favorite authors at bookstores. I think it gives a reader a special window into why they wrote a book and it always amazing to hear an author read from his or her book.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is an amazing novel. My review is below and also posted on my blog.
###

A Thousand Splendid Suns
By Khaled Hosseini
Completed September 30, 2007


A Thousand Splendid Suns is a beautiful, heartbreaking yet hopeful story about two women, Mariam and Laila, who live in Afghanistan throughout its recent turbulent years. Foes at first, Mariam and Laila soon become allies against their abusive husband. And in many ways, they are allied against the opppresive powers in place in Afghanistan, where women are to be silent, obedient and enduring, no matter what.

Parts of this book are uncomfortable to read. I will warn you - A Thousand Splendid Suns is not for the faint of heart. The story will tug at your emotions in many ways. You will be mad, sad, happy and disgusted. Good stories can do that to you.

I am glad Khaled Hosseini is writing about Afghanistan after 09/11. It helps put a perspective on this country that I honestly didn't understand. It seems to be such a beautiful, cultural place, if war had not torn it apart. I hope that this country can get on its feet and let its people live in an era of no rockets, snipers or oppression.

My review is not doing this book justice. Just go and read it. In a thousand splendid ways, it will move you. I promise. ( )

No comments: