Monday, September 24, 2007

A Nattie-Pie Pick


I have ended up reading a different book from the challenge than I had planned. I didn't realize I would get the chance to read Sixpence House, off of Nattie's List, but I am so glad that I did. Pattie sent me her copy, and it has been such a blessing, like a few more moments in Natalie's presence. I mean, if you have ever seen the books stacked floor to ceiling in her Hobbit House, you will understand.


(****SPOILER****)


I give the book 4 stars. It would be 5 except for a couple of things. First of all, the book is called Sixpence House, but that building hardly plays into the book at all. It shows up in one chapter, halfway through the book, and then it is gone again. Second, I wanted MORE about books. And I wanted them to stay in Hay. It made me so sad when they flew back to America. I was living vicariously through this couple and their child, pretending I too could live in Hay. Ah, well...

Regardless, the book was a wonderful story. I loved all of the excerpts from obscure books that the author came across. I loved the descriptions of Hay, of Booth's mountains of books, etc... Hay truly is a book lover's paradise. One day, maybe, I will make it there.

If you truly love books, then you will truly love this book.

Heather

No comments: