Monday, September 3, 2007

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Lucca selected Breakfast at Tiffany's for this challenge, saying that "there’s a bit of Golightly in me. And it’s not limited to the cat." Not knowing Lucca very well, I would hate to speculate which part of Holly Golightly reminds Lucca of herself, but I hope it's the fun, glamorous side - and not the call girl side. =) My review is below and also posted on my blog. Thanks, Lucca, for selecting this novella; it was a fun read!

###

I had the sweet, innocent face of Audrey Hepburn burned into my head when I started this novella. Not knowing anything about this story, except for the movie poster, I was quite surprised to learn that Holly Golightly was, in fact, a prostitute. I laughed out loud when I discovered this fact. In fact, I grinned my way through most of this story, but the overall impression I have of Breakast at Tiffany's was a story about desperation.

Holly Golightly is an interesting character. She's a train wreck, living a glamorous life, turning tricks and capable of explosive outbursts and grudges. She's one of those girls who enters a room and presents a whole new energy. You're drawn to her like a Venus flytrap. However, underneath the glamour, is a girl with lots of secrets, naivete and innocence about life. It's this side of her that causes her undoing.

I have not seen the movie, and I am curious to know how, in 1961, they pulled off a character like Holly, who is not prim or proper. One day, I'll have to find out.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a delightful story - far from perfect and full of life - just like Holly Golightly herself.

No comments: