Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Naughtiest Girl in the School by Enid Blyton

My original review is here.

This is actually one of my own picks - I picked it because I went to boarding school, and was a very naughty little girl. I was only 10 when I went, and did not want to be there at all - felt totally abandoned. I missed my mother, and went through puberty with her being with me - and something is missing in our relationship that I have never been able to get back. I am very independent, learning quickly to stand on my own two feet. So I selected this book from my TBR pile to see how another naughty girl coped with abandonment. I also want to see how naughty she was - was she as naughty as I was?

Well, the short answer is yes - in fact she was naughtier. I wouldn't have dared to do some of the things she did. And I got on very well with the other kids at school. My rebellion was more along the lines of breaking school rules - going out of bounds - and not doing homework. Spent a lot of time in detention. Still I gradually discovered I loved learning - and became a straight A student. I would sneak away to the library whenever I could and disappear into the world of books. I look back at that time now with fondness - but at the time I just wanted to go home at night like the day kids did.

No comments: