Saturday, September 1, 2007

Another review of The Giver by Lois Lowry

So I said that for this challenge I'd read Number the Stars or The Giver by Lois Lowry. I already read Number the Stars and reviewed it for this blog. So I was moving on. But then Valentina reviewed The Giver the other day. And I was sick and in bed. And it happened to be sitting on my nightstand.

Wow. I agree with everyone here. This is a very chilling read which all flaming liberals such as myself would surely love - haha! But seriously, it brings up disturbing issues about trying to control people's behavior, and what we might be willing to give up in terms of freedoms in order to make society a more orderly place. Surely it would be nice to have no crime, no war. But what would be the cost?

This book took me only a few hours to read. Everyone should read this at least once.

2 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

Everyone should read this at least once.

I agree!

valentina said...

I'm happy my review made you want to read it! But I do think there could be other ways to live without war and hunger than that one.