Friday, August 31, 2007

So Many Books, So Little Time

when i first heard that there was a book entitled So Many Books, So Little Time, i knew that it would only be a matter of time until i read it. (especially since my blog has the same name!) because So Many Books was on the lists of Vasilly, a.book.in.the.life, and Sally, this challenge was the perfect excuse to read it. i suspect that most book bloggers could say that this book title is "about" them! i certainly can!

Vasilly said that author Sara Nelson "is one of my heroes." she appreciated what Nelson wrote about how books fit into her life and the joy that reading brings. a.book.in.the.life similarly liked this book because "I love books and reading, and I love books about books and reading."

i also enjoyed this book, but I think I appreciated the concept - in which the author was going to read one book a week for a year and write about that experience - more than the actual implementation.

i read the book just a little at a time - it's easy to read in snippets - and i ended up with a number of possible additions to my own to-be-read list. i didn't ever feel personally engaged with Nelson, though, and a couple of times i found myself thinking that many of the book bloggers i know could have written this book at least as well, if not better. still, it's a worthwhile read, especially for those of us who can relate to the idea of "passionate reading"!

2 comments:

Dewey said...

I know what you mean about not being engaged. I liked the book, but I didn't particularly like Nelson herself. I didn't disliker her either; I just didn't really have much in common with her, I guess, except reading.

Becky said...

I agree. I liked the concept--loved it even. But I just didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the idea of it. And I agree, I think bloggers do the same thing but are more engaging. :)