Wednesday, August 22, 2007

raidergirl3 update: Jane Eyre and Inkheart

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, as recommended by Kathrin

Classic books are classic for a reason - they are great reads. I wasn't prepared for the mysterious aspect of Jane Eyre, but it had me enthralled. I loved Jane and Mr Rochester, and the love story and eerie atmosphere of the book.

Kathrin picked it because: IMO Jane has good values.

I would have to agree with her; I loved Jane's strength to do the right thing. She stood up for herself most of all, but also anytime she saw a need. A terrific heroine, and I'm sure I'll eventually read this again. My full review is here


Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, translated from the German by Anthea Bell, as recommended by Becky (shereads) [which always has me singing, Shebangs She bangs after I type that!]

Becky picked this book: Because I love to read and find the idea of reading characters in and out of books fascinating.

What a great adventure novel, with books as a major theme and almost a character in themselves. Meggie and her father are trying to deal with some characters that came to life after Meggie's father read them out of the book Inkheart. Part fantasy, part adventure, with wonderful quotes at the beginning of each chapter, I flew through this 500 page book in days. And I'm giving it to my son to read next.

My full review is here.

2 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

i tried to read Jane Eyre once, but i really struggle with the language of that period and i never finished it. :(

both of my daughters (16yo and 11yo) have read Inkheart, and i've been wanting to read it for a while. i'd forgotten about the additional "book" connection in the plot - and that makes me want to read it even more. maybe i'll get through the books on my list and can add this one too!

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed Jne Eyre, raidergirl3! :-)

I hope to read Inkheart one day as well...