Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Stand




Wow! I finally read a Stephen King book!




I picked this from a.book.in.the.life's list. I also already had it on by TBR Challenge list, so I killed two with one!


The horror genre makes me a bit nervous, but I've heard so much about this particular book, so I was curious enough to check it out.



And wow! What a story it is! But, I must say that I was getting too depressed by it and was glad to see it finally come to an end. It wore me out! The end of the world scenario depicted here seems like it could be so real. It's quite scary. There's a lot of political AND religious stuff that King is trying to say here that I couldn't even begin to list. But all very interesting.



There was lots of icky stuff too that maked me grimace and feel a bit squeamish, but that's to be expected in a so called horror book, right?


Anyway, I'm glad to have finally read it, but I must say that I'll probably give Stephen King a break for awhile!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY SUEY! I love this book and it is truly one of King's masterpieces!
it is hard to step out of your book comfort zone! good job.

Suey said...

Hey thanks! Yes, it will stick with me for a bit I'm thinking.

The Bookworm said...

I'm a big S.K. fan and have not read this one yet. I know what you mean about the 'icky stuff'. Some of his stories, I've had to put down while reading because I was getting that grossed out.
I hope I can read 'the stand' sometime soon.

alisonwonderland said...

The Stand is the only Stephen King novel I have ever read. I don't enjoy horror, but I wanted to read this one for the "political and religious stuff that King is trying to say here." I really enjoyed it!

Did you read the 1978 version or The Complete and Uncut Edition of 1990? (I read the later.)

Suey said...

I read an old (1978) version of it. So what's in the newer version that's not in the old?

alisonwonderland said...

According to Wikipedia, "King restored some text originally cut for brevity, added and revised sections, changed the setting of the novel from 1980 to 1990, and updated a few pop culture references accordingly." I don't know how many pages that 1978 version had, but the 1990 version was the longest book I'd ever read (maybe even the longest book I've still ever read).

Julie Cleghorn said...

This is the only Stephen King book I have ever read as well. It may be my first, last and only. I agree is is pretty scary. Sometimes I read books and don't always remember reading them, but this one has stayed with me. I can't even remember how long ago I read it, but I know without a doubt I did. A scary, too real masterpiece.