Monday, August 13, 2007

Jane Eyre (Thanks Kathrin!)

I completed my reading of Jane Eyre. I am not sure where to start to explain my thoughts on it. I loved it. That is for sure. I am head over heels in love with Mr. Rochester. Jane made me laugh and yell. I wanted to hug her and hit her, simultaneously. I chose this off of Kathrin's list. Makes me think I might just like Kathrin. *grins*

A big plus to reading this is that I have been spending more time with a girl I met three years ago. She was away at college until recently. Now, we work together, and I love the chance to get to know her better. Jane Eyre is one of her favorite books. She has written college papers on the book. When she found out I was reading (and liking) it, she suggested Wide Sargasso Sea. I MUST read that book. Why? Because my only real complaint about Jane Eyre is that it does not truly explain Bertha. We hear Rochester's explanation, and it isn't a bad one, but I am left feeling like there could be so much more. Granted, Jane Eyre isn't a thin book, as it is, but still... I will definitely be searching out a copy of Wide Sargasso Sea and sharing my thoughts on it.
I am so glad I took this challenge and read this book.

Heather

7 comments:

Pattie said...

I liked Jane Eyre. I haven't read "Sargasso" yet but it was recommended to me years ago.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

It's one of my faves, too! And I love Mr. Rochester. I was in the minority in a 19th century lit class I took in university - most people thought he was awful, but not me!

valentina said...

it's one of my all-time fav too. I should re-read it one day. Glad it has found yet another fan:)

alisonwonderland said...

i'm ashamed to admit that i couldn't get through Jane Eyre. i tried, but i just couldn't do it. i have seen the musical, though - which i really enjoyed. :o)

Heather said...

tinylittlelibrarian - I would have fallen in love with Rochester, had I been Jane. People have no sense of romance anymore, no?

Chris said...

My #1 favorite book. I love Jane and Mr R. A great film adaptation is the BBC (2006) version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stevens. So good!!

Unknown said...

I'm really glad you enjoyed Jane Eyre :-) I love this book a lot and will have to get another copy one day. Right before it's all torn ;-)