Friday, August 10, 2007

I bet you thought I forgot

I played a little 30 minute catch-up today reading over all the posts made in the last month and the reviews that are up already. Then I began looking over everyone's lists and making decisions. It was hard--hard,hard, hard. I wanted to make a list of ten and commit to five books from the list. I ended up with 11 or 12 from which I will read at least 6, hopefully more. Here they are:

1000 Splendid Suns (shereads) - I need an excuse to dive into this rather than calling it just "pleasure reading." I've been DYING to read it anyway

Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Beachreader) - I am also a beach reader and something in the name of this one really appealed to me. It did not lose it's appeal when I looked it up on amazon. I'm very excited about this one.

I Am the Messenger (Jill) - I loved The Book Thief with a pure and wonderful love. I can't wait to read more Zusak

A Gift from the Sea (alisonwonderland) - also one that I have wanted for some time and just needed a kick in the pants to get me on it.

A Girl Named Zippy - one of Nat's choices. 'Nuff said.

Echo Maker/ Mere Christianity (3M) - these are kind of a cheat as I am reading both for other groups, but I am excited about both as well.

Grapes of Wrath (kookiejar)- another that I am reading for another challenge. I hated it in high school, but I think I am a better reader now.

A Walk in the Woods (Wendy) - one of Bill Bryson's I have not read. I so enjoy him though. And I grew up near part of the Appalachain Trail.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (Lucca) - I read my first Capote this year and enjoyed it immensely. I want to read more.

Weetzie Bat (Soliel)- the name and the description totally intrigue me

To Sir, with Love (Gautami) - I watched this movie with my Dad, and we loved it.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I loved A Girl Named Zippy. And I love Nat, and I love you!

Pattie said...

I read To Sir, With Love in grad school (it used to be out of print, and the university library had an old copy...I was thrilled!). It makes some parts of the film a bit clearer, IMO. Still a classic movie. The sequel made for TV was on not long ago, and it was good too. I think Sidney Poitier could read Dr. Seuss and win another Oscar, though. I think you'll like it, although it might give you classroom-flashbacks ;)