Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Amateur Marriage - 3M's Review

Crossposted at my new website, 1morechapter.com.

In memory of Nattie.

The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler outlines the lives and marriage of Michael and Pauline Anton from World War II to the present day. We see their joys and trials in courtship, marriage, children, and death.

It's hard to review the book without giving spoilers away, but the book basically follows a difficult marriage. Or was it, really? Was it really much different than most marriages? Aren't even "good" marriages difficult at times? These are the questions the book raises.

This was a very readable book that I finished in a day, and I would have very much liked to discuss it with a group. I've read one other book by Anne Tyler, Saint Maybe (which I also liked), and I'll be seeking out more.

2004, 306 pp.

Rating: 4

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love Anne Tyler's books. They are all wonderful in so many different ways.

Gah! I miss Nattie!!!

Jill said...

I am a big fan of Anne Tyler, and I hope to read this books of hers one day.

alisonwonderland said...

i'm also a big fan of Anne Tyler, and i have read all of her novels. i really liked The Amateur Marriage - and i did get to discuss it with one of my book groups. (aren't i lucky?)

btw Saint Maybe is one of my favorite Anne Tyler books.