Saturday, August 4, 2007

Oh My Goth

i picked this young adult novel, written by Gena Showalter, from Stephanie's list. this is what Stephanie said about it:

This is the story about a girl in high school (for me it was college) that is a nonconformist and who values individuality. She dresses "Goth", wears all black. Then one day her smart mouth gets her in trouble at school. (Hmmm...now THIS sounds like me!) She wakes up to find that whole world has gone Goth and she is no longer different....but POPULAR! I've been known to wear a LOT of black, even lipstick and nail polish. I always liked being different. Guess this one is really me!

i found this to be a fun, quick read. i don't think it is as well written as, say. Stargirl, my favorite high school nonconformist story. but reminiscent of the films 13 Going on 30 and Never Been Kissed, the moral of the story is a good one - although the kids that most need it are probably not the ones who are most likely to read the book (or get the message) - and i do like a happy ending!

thanks, Stephanie, for the recommendation!

1 comment:

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I agree about the kids who need the message not being the ones who'll get it, sadly, but it was a good YA quickie.